->

17 August 2007

Exclusive - Reverse Geocoding using Google Maps API only!

Exclusive - ALL New! Reverse Geocoding using Google Maps API only!

Google Maps is great! and the programmers that take the API and do find and create useful applications. Like this Reverse Geocoding

What is reverse geocoding?
"The conversion of latitude and longitude coordinate data of locations into descriptive addresses"

Reverse Geocoding UK Addresses

Try it out here
http://nicogoeminne.googlepages.com/reversegeocode.html

Thanks to Nico Goeminne for finding this algorithm and giving Mapperz the chance to suggest and give exclusive feedback on this incredible function.

Is this legal? - Yes, We have had this confirmed by Pamela Fox (Google Maps API Team) that this is not breaking the Terms of Use - which is great news.

"I checked with a product manager and he looked through our licensing
agreements. The conclusion is that as long as you're not using the
reverse geocoder for real-time tracking of any kind, then you're okay
to use it."

Please use it - suggest comments, feedback always welcome.

Nico's idea came from this
"Google Maps is great! One day I was working on a treasure hunting game, it combined both real world as virtual items placed in and around the very nice city of Ghent (Belgium). At regular times I told them the location (GPS) of an item, so they could go out hunt. Some of them complained because they didn't have a GPS and couldn't find an online tool to convert the GPS coordinates to an address. "No problem I said, I'll fix one up", at that time I did not cross my mind that GM couldn't reverse geocode since before all things I ever needed were just there in that great API. So I was kinda disappointed when I read trough the documentation and even more when I searched the net on the subject. So in the end, I decided to give a try myself and see if I could figure out something and then I stroke me : The GM API has reverse geocoding capabilities. They just call it Driving Directions! Google Maps is great! "

Thanks and all credit to Nico - Excellent Job!

Mapperz Tests a UK version of this method (demo)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:22:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

This is great, could it be modified to enable an RSS feed of the results in any way ?

Like ...

Input = www.mydomain.com/?lat=50.1234&lng=-1.1234

Output = RSS feed showing the address ?

You would be GOD if this is possible, I know many people shearching for such a tool.

Please advise.

 
At Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:19:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a table with coordinates of a number of buildings. I am looking for a utility that would allow me to feed the coordinates into it and then show the building sites on a Google Map.Ideally an Excel table would be used for this.

Is there something to help doing this?

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:42:00 am, Blogger Mapperz said...

Matti

Use Google Spreadsheets
(you can upload excel spreadsheets)

have the lat/lngs and placename

as here

http://ukgeocoder.googlepages.com/Mapperz_Towns_A_s2.html

Mapperz

 
At Friday, September 28, 2007 10:01:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This doesn't appear to return the building number. Is this an issue with the example or with Google?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home