New 1TB Feature Datasets Geodatabases in ArcGIS 9.2
With the release of ESRI ArcGIS 9.2 there is a new type of Geodatabase becoming available.
The File Geodatabase breaks the 2GB limit a personal geodatabase (.mdb) has.
Compressing a file Geodatabase reduces file size upto 25%
This is important for small businesses that use ArcGIS but due to cost cannot afford ArcSDE software, licencing and the workers to administrate a DBMS.
Advantages on a File Geodatabase are:-
- 1TB (TeraByte) for each dataset. Each file geodatabase can hold many datasets
Each feature class can scale up to hundreds of millions of vector features per dataset.
- Cross-platform on Operating Systems
- Operating file system of security
- Single user and small workgroups control, many readers (no lock file) one writer operator
- Uses a very efficient data structure that is optimized for performance and storage
- ESRI Recommend it over personal geodatabases.
- ESRI Recommend compressing Feature Datasets after importing from personal geodatabases.